Names of fish that begin with the letter H include the Humpback Turretfish, which is native to India. The list of common names of fish that start with H is endless.
If you are looking for trustworthy content for that homework about fish names that begin with the letter H, this article is guaranteed to help you with the answers.
Check out our top 5 fish that start with H. you can also look up the other lists below to find more names.
Table of Contents
- Our Top 5 Fish Names That Start With H
- List of Fish Beginning With H
Our Top 5 Fish Names That Start With H
Hardhead Catfish (Ariopsis felis)
The hardhead cat is our first pick in our list of fish that start with H. It is a saltwater fish in the Ariidae family.
It is endemic to the Northwest Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico and is also commonly found in the western Atlantic ocean.
It has a white belly and a gloomy gray body. It grows up to a maximum of 28 inches. Hardhead cats share a lot with other catfish species that live in freshwater, although they live in the sea.
Horn Shark (Heterodontus francisci)
In our search, this shark is one of our top picks because of its remarkable appearance. As a predator, its food includes invertebrates, crustaceans, mollusks, and small bony fish.
If there is a predator you do not hope to meet at night in shallow rocky reef areas of the sea, this shark is that predator. Although its activities are largely determined by how much light the environment affords, they love to retire into a favorable shelter during the day and hunt at night.
One of the many shocking facts about this shark is that it is harmless unless you harass it.
Hatchetfish (Gasteropelecus sternicla)
This fish is a fast predatory fish that looks like a hatchet. It is native to South and Central America.
It is a challenging fish to care for. One fascinating thing about the hatchet fish is how it jumps out of the river or stream to catch insects that come too close to the water’s surface.
Some hobbyists have noticed them jump as high as 4 feet from the aquarium when alarmed, so you want to have a lip over it.
Haitian Cichlid (Nandopsis haitiensis)
This cichlid is endemic to Haiti, hence the name Haitian Cichlid. It is also found in freshwater bodies in the Dominican Republic.
Like many other cichlids, the Haitian cichlid is very territorial in the aquarium. It would be best to keep it with members of its kind in a tank specially dedicated to them.
Harlequin Rasbora (Rasbora heteromorpha)
Harlequin rasboras are peaceful shoaling fish that love planted tanks with a slow flow rate. This fish is native to Asia, where it thrives in rivers and streams in Malaysia and Singapore.
It is a small and cute shoaling fish with small fins. You do not want to have them in a tank with a high flow rate as this will stress their small fins.
These cyprinids are very easy to care for. Their males tend to have brighter colors and slimmer bodies than the females. The females usually appear more round, but the extra body weight only makes them cuter.
List of Fish Beginning With H
Apart from our top picks above, there are more fish common names that begin with the letter H.
End your search with these fish names below!
Freshwater Fish Beginning With H
- Haitian cichlid (Cichlasoma haitiensis)
- Half-Lined pyrrhulina (Pyrrhulina laeta)
- Hampala barb (Hampala macrolepidota)
- Harlequin rasboras (Rasbora heteromorpha)
- Harlequin shark (Labeo cyclorhynchus)
- Harrison’s pencilfish (Nannostomus harrisoni)
- Hatchetfish (Gasteropelecus sternicla)
- Head-and-taillight tetra (Hemigrammus ocellifer)
- Heterotis (Heterotis niloticus)
- Hi-Fin banded shark (Myxocyprinus asiaticus)
- Hi-Spot Rasbora (Rasbora dorsiocellata dorsiocellata)
- High-Backed Headstander (Abramites hypselonotus)
- High-Backed Tetra (Citharinus citharus)
- Hillstream Loach (Balitoropsis zollingeri)
- Hog Sucker (Hypentelium nigricans)
- Hog-Nosed Brochis (Brochis multiradiatus)
- Holland’s Piranha (Serrasalmus hollandi)
- Hong Kong Pleco (Gastromyzon ctenocephalus)
- Hora’s Loach (Botia morleti)
- Horse-Faced Loach (Acantopsis choirorhynchos)
- Huchen (Hucho hucho)
- Humeralis Piranha (Serrasalmus humeralis)
- Humphead (Steatocranus casuarius)
- Hyena Cichlid (Nimbochromis polystigma)
Saltwater Fish Beginning With H
- Haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus)
- Hagfish (Myxine kuoi)
- Hairtail (Evoxymetopon taeniatus)
- Hake (Merluccius hubbsi)
- Halfbeak (Hemiramphus brasiliensis)
- Halfmoon (Medialuna californiensis)
- Halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus)
- Halosaur (Halosauropsis macrochir)
- Hamlet (Hypoplectrus unicolor)
- Hammerhead shark (Sphyrna gilberti)
- Hammerjaw (Omosudis lowii)
- Handfish (Brachionichthys hirsutus)
- Hardhead catfish (Ariopsis felis)
- Hatchetfish (Argyropelecus hemigymnus)
- Hawkfish (Cirrhitus pinnulatus)
- Herring (Clupea harengus)
- Herring Smelt (Argentina sphyraena)
- Hickory Shad (Alosa mediocris)
- Hoki (Macruronus novaezelandiae)
- Horn Shark (Heterodontus francisci)
- Horsefish (Congiopodus torvus)
- Houndshark (Triakis semifasciata)
- Humuhumunukunukuapua’a (Rhinecanthus rectangulus)
- Hussar (Lutjanus adetii)