The Bamboo shark is one of the many fishes with fish names that start with the letter B. Fish common names with B are almost endless.
Scientific names help a fish species from other fish species of its kind in the same family, but it is common in the hobby to identify a fish species with its common name.
Check out the following list below to see our top picks of fish names starting with B and more!
Our Top 5 Fish Names Beginning with Letter B
Bandit Cory (Corydoras metae)
Corydoras metae is the Latin name of the Bandit Cory. It is a small Columbian fish that only grows about 5cm long.
The Bandit Cory are peaceful and shy bottom dwellers.
A striking feature of this fish is the dark color that runs over its face from gill to gill-like a bandit’s band.
Unlike other fish, the Bandit Cory hardly lives long. If you wish to keep this fish, it should be kept in groups of at least three in a tank.
Black Fin Cory (Corydoras leucomelas)
Black Fin Cory is one of the many fishes with common names starting with b. False Spotted Cory Catfish and False Spotfin Cory Cats are other common names for this fish.
It is a small fish that loves a well-planted aquarium. It grows to the maximum length of about 5.5cm (2.2″).
Like many other Cory species, Black Fin Cory are bottom dwellers but will not eat algae or any other plant matter that grows on the wall of your aquarium. Although it does not eat algae, it will eat algae wafers.
It is a bottom-dwelling browser. It will also eat sinking pellets like shrimp pellets, bloodworms, insect larvae, and anything that fits into its mouth.
Top dweller fishes like Betta and Brown Pencilfish are excellent tankmates for the Black Fin Cory, two fish with fish names starting with b!
Black Phantom Tetra (Megalamphodus megalopterus)
The Black Phantom Tetra is a pretty non-aggressive fish on the list of fish that start with b. Its scientific name Megalamphodus megalopterus, sets it apart from other tetras.
Black Phantom Tetra has a smoky gray color and black edging. One of the distinctive features of this fish is the clear eye-shaped mark just behind but close to the gills.
However, their silver color makes them a great pair with other colorful tetra species.
An adult Black Phantom Tetra can grow up to 4.3cm (1.7″) long. But there have been rare cases of some growing as long as 5.08cm (2″) in length.
It is native to the water bodies of South American countries like Bolivia, Brazil, and Paraguay.
Balloon Platy (Xiphophorus sp.)
Another great fish that tops the list of fish names starting with “b” is the Xiphophorus sp. Its common name is the Balloon Platy. This fish can live up to 4 years if you set your aquarium to the proper water parameters.
You can find the Xiphophorus sp. in the rivers of southern Mexico and the Central American Eastern coast.
The Balloon Platy usually grows as long as 5.08cm (2″). But the size typically depends on the species, the correct water parameters, and a consistent aquarium maintenance routine.
It is a hardy tropical fish, and it is easy to care for.
Betta Fish Species (Betta splendens)
This is one popular aquarium fish that starts with the letter b. it is also known by other common names; Siamese Fighting Fish.
It is one of the many fish with names starting with b. This colorful fish is one of the many popular aquarium fish.
Other common names of the fish include labyrinth fish, Japanese fighting fish, and even Chinese fighting fish. They have these common names even though they are native to neither country.
Of all the colorful varieties, the yellow types are among the most popular varieties in the hobby.
They have a somewhat short lifespan of about 2-3 years. The males are often aggressive and will fight with other colorful tankmates that seem to have more colors.
It is also advised that you do not keep more than a male in a tank because they will fight for dominance.
Baby Whale (Brienomyrus brachyistius)
A baby whale is an impressive fish. It is a freshwater fish indigenous to the murky waters of West Africa.
It is called a Baby whale because it has a face that looks like the face of a sperm whale. But it is not a whale.
A baby whale is, in fact, a kind of elephant fish in the Mormyridae family.
A fascinating characteristic of this fish is its electric organ. It produces a pattern of electric signals for communication and navigation purposes with the electric organ.
These intelligent fish are small but can survive for up to 10 years in your aquarium. But it is important that you replicate their habitat in the aquarium for them to flourish.
List of Fish Beginning With B
Check out the following list below for fish with common names starting with b.
Freshwater Fish Beginning With B
- Baby Whale (Petrocephalus bovei bovei)
- Badis (Badis badis)
- Baenschi’s Peacock (Aulonocara baenschi)
- Baikal Oilfish (Comephorus)
- Bala Shark (Balantiocheilus melanopterus)
- Balzani’s Earth Eater (Gymnogeophagus balzanii)
- Banded Barb (Barbus fasciatus)
- Banded Climbing Perch (Microctenopoma fasciolatum)
- Banded Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma bitaeniata)
- Banded Gourami (Colisa fasciata)
- Banded Killifish (Fundulus diaphanus)
- Banded Loach (Botia hymenophysa)
- Banded Pimelodid (Pimelodus clarias clarias)
- Banded Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia trifasciata)
- Banded Shovelnose Catfish (Brachyplatystoma juruense)
- Bandeira Catfish (Goslinia platynema)
- Bandfish (Cepola haastii)
- Bandit Cichlid (Aequidens geayi)
- Bandit Cory (Corydoras metae)
- Bangus (Chanos chanos)
- Banjo (Bunocephalus verrucosus)
- Banjo Catfish (Bunocephalus coracoideus)
- Barb (Barbus barbus)
- Barbatus Corydorus (Corydoras barbatus)
- Barbel-less Catfish (Trachelyopterus lucenai)
- Barfish (Morone mississippiensis)
- Barred Danio (Devario pathirana)
- Barred Loach (Nemacheilus fasciatus)
- Bass (Micropterus salmoides)
- Batfish, Freshwater (Myxocyprinus asiaticus)
- Beauforti’s Loach (Botia beauforti)
- Bengal Danio (Danio devario)
- Bengal Loach (Botia dario)
- Benny Tetra (Creagrutus beni)
- Berdmore’s Loach (Botia berdmorei)
- Berney’s Shark Catfish (Arius graeffei)
- Betta (Betta splendens)
- Bichir (Polypterus bichir)
- Big Scale Tetra (Brycinus macrolepidotus)
- Big-Eyed Synodontis (Synodontis pleurops)
- Big-Eyed Xenotilapia (Xenotilapia sima)
- Big-Toothed Piranha (Serrasalmus denticulatus)
- Bighead Carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis)
- Bigmouth Buffalo (Ictiobus cyprinellus)
- Bill Tetra (Phago boulengeri)
- Bitterling (Rhodeus suigensis)
- Black Acara (“Cichlasoma” portalegrense)
- Black Adonis Pleco – Acanthicus hystrix
- Black and White Julie (Julidochromis transcriptus)
- Black Angelfish (Chaetodontoplus niger)
- Black Arowana (Osteoglossum ferrerai)
- Black Banded Pyrrhulina (Copella nigrofasciata)
- Black Barred Myleus (Myleus schomburgkii)
- Black Bass (Micropterus dolomieu)
- Black Belt Cichlid (Vieja maculicauda)
- Black Buffalo (Ictiobus niger)
- Black Bullhead (Ictalurus melas)
- Black Darter Tetra (Poecilocharax weitzmani)
- Black Devil Stingray (Potamotrygon leopoldi)
- Black Diamond Gold Piranha (Serrasalmus spilopleura)
- Black Fin Cichlid (Paracyprichromis nigripinnis)
- Black Finned Doradid (Hassar notospilus)
- Black Ghost Knifefish (Apteronotus albifrons)
- Black Lancer (Bagrichthys hypselopterus)
- Black Lined Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia maccullochi)
- Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)
- Black Pacu (Colossoma macropomum)
- Black Piranha (Serrasalmus niger)
- Black Ruby Barb (Puntius nigrofasciatus)
- Black Shark (Labeo chrysophekadion)
- Black Spot Barb (Barbus filamentosus)
- Black Stripe Dwarf Cichlid (Taeniacara candidi)
- Black Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)
- Black Wedge Tetra (Hemigrammus pulcher)
- Black Widow Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
- Black-Chinned Xenotilapia (Enantiopus melanogenys)
- Black-Winged Hatchetfish (Carnegiella marthae)
- Blackfish (Dallia pectoralis)
- Bleak (Alburnus alburnus)
- Blood Parrot Cichlid (Amphilophus citrinellus x Paraneetroplus synspilus [hybrid])
- Blue Catfish (Ictalurus furcatus)
- Blue Danio (Danio kerri)
- Blue Gourami (Trichopodus trichopterus)
- Blue-Redstripe Danio (Danio albolineatus)
- Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus)
- Bluntnose Knifefish (Steatogenys elegans)
- Bluntnose Minnow (Pimephales notatus)
- Bonefish (Albula vulpes)
- Bonytail (Gila elegans)
- Bowfin (Amia calva)
- Bream (Abramis brama)
- Bristlenose Catfish (Ancistrus)
- Bronze Corydoras (Corydoras aeneus)
- Brook Lamprey (Lampetra planeri)
- Brook Stickleback (Culaea inconstans)
- Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis)
- Brown Trout (Salmo trutta)
- Buffalo Fish (Ictiobus cyprinellus)
- Bull Trout (Salvelinus confluentus)
- Burma Danio (Danio tinwini)
- Burrowing Goby (Croilia mossambica)
Saltwater Fish Beginning With B
- Ballan Wrasse (Labris bergylta)
- Bamboo Shark (Chiloscyllium griseum)
- Bangus (Chanos chanos)
- Barbeled dragonfish (Astronesthes niger)
- Barbeled houndshark (Leptocharias smithii)
- Barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda)
- Barracudina (Lestidium atlanticum)
- Barramundi (Lates calcarifer)
- Barreleye (Opisthoproctus soleatus)
- Basking Shark (Cetorhinus maximus)
- Bat ray (Myliobatis californica)
- Beachsalmon (Leptobrama muelleri)
- Beaked salmon (Gonorynchus greyi)
- Beardfish (Polymixia nobilis)
- Beluga Sturgeon – Huso huso
- Bicolor goat fish (Parupeneus barberinoides)
- Bigeye (Heteropriacanthus cruentatus)
- Bigeye squaretail (Tetragonurus atlanticus)
- Bigscale (Scopelogadus mizolepis mizolepis)
- Bigscale Pomfret (Taractichthys longipinnis)
- Billfish (Makaira nigricans)
- Black Fin Shark – Arius seemanni
- Black Mackerel (Scombrolabrax heterolepis)
- Black Scabbardfish (Aphanopus carbo)
- Black Scalyfin (Parma alboscapularis)
- Black Sea Bass (Centropristis striata)
- Black Swallower (Chiasmodon niger)
- Black Triggerfish (Melichthys niger)
- Blackchin (Neoscopelus macrolepidotus)
- Blackfin Tuna (Thunnus atlanticus)
- Blacktip Reef Shark (Dallia pectoralis)
- Blenny (Ophioblennius steindachneri)
- Blind Goby (Typhlogobius californiensis)
- Blind Shark (Brachaelurus waddi)
- Blobfish (Cottunculus microps)
- Blowfish (Torquigener albomaculosus)
- Blue Eye Trevalla (Hyperoglyphe antarctica)
- Blue Shark (Prionace glauca)
- Blue Triggerfish (Pseudobalistes fuscus)
- Blue Whiting (Micromesistius poutassou)
- Bluefin Tuna (Thunnus maccoyii)
- Bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix)
- Boafish (Stomias boa boa)
- Boarfish (Capros aper)
- Bobtail Snipe Eel (Cyema atrum)
- Bocaccio (Sebastes paucispinis)
- Boga (Haemulon vittatum)
- Bombay Duck (Harpadon nehereus)
- Bonito (Sarda sarda)
- Bonnethead Shark (Sphyrna tiburo)
- Bonnetmouth (Emmelichthyops atlanticus)
- Boxfish (Lactophrys bicaudalis)
- Bramble Shark (Echinorhinus brucus)
- Brill (Scophthalmus rhombus)
- Bristlemouth (Bonapartia pedaliota)
- Bull Shark (Carcharhinus leucas)
- Bullhead Shark (Heterodontus francisci)
- Buri (Seriola quinqueradiata)
- Butterfish (Selenotoca multifasciata)
- Butterfly Ray (Gymnura micrura)
- Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus)
Final Thoughts on Fish That Start With B
This piece features saltwater fishes usually found in the seas, coral reefs, and various coastal waters all over the world.
It also features freshwater fishes that can only be found in tropical streams, rivers, lakes, and brackish waters in some parts of the world.
Although it is not exhaustive, it is a good place for a start if you want to research names of fish that start with b.